Egg Baked in Avocado with Feta & Herbs
This dish is ridiculously simple to make, yet looks impressively fancy. The concept is akin to “egg in a basket” or “toad in a hole,” where you cut-out a hole in a slice of toast and crack an egg into it on the frying pan—except, of course, this is baked and you’re cracking an egg into an avocado.
Hm, what can we name this dish… “Egg in a Hammock”?
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Slice avocado in half and remove pit. Using a spoon, scoop out the center hole so that it is wider and deeper. Eat the scooped out part immediately. Slightly shave off the back of the avocado so that it can lay flat.
3. Lay the avocado halves on a baking sheet or in a cast iron pan and crack an egg inside. You may choose to separate the yolks from the whites, if you wish.
4. Sprinkle some crumbled feta cheese and freshly snipped herbs on top (dill, scallions, or parsley is nice) on top. Add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
5. Bake in the oven until the eggs are cooked to your liking.